Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Introspection

I was hoping I would be posting a lot of photography off the start in my new blog. Although much like my last blog, I have lot going on and a lot I need to work through. 2008 ended and was an explosion of uncertainty, unknown, and riding the edge of failure. There is a high probability this will bore you to tears but I'm mainly writing this for me to work it out but at the same time I know some of you that will read this will understand and lend some support too. Which is one of the great parts of our online community and family.

As 2008 came to a close so did my career with my former company. Literally 12/31/08. I think this is the first job I've ever had or ever will that ends on the last day of the year. On a positive turn though, I started a new job with a new company on 1/1/09. Another oddity that I will never experience, starting a new job on the very first day of the year. Sadly out of a close group of us in our very small office half our staff was not aquired by the new company. Half doesn't sound bad until you factor in there were four of us, and only half means two of us have jobs and the other two do not. The economy is ugly and only going to get worse in the next 2-3 years so I'm very thankful for having a job and still being able to do what I do in my career field.

My workouts have sucked, my weight hasn't really moved but I'm guessing my body fat % has gone up from 11% to probably 12-13% right now. Luckily with all the snow, I've been getting in plenty of cardio from removing the snow. I think officially we've received about 100 inches in 3 weeks. It has been insane. I was hoping to get back into the gym tonight but I had to wrap up some things at work.

On the brighter side of what has been a rather depressing few weeks. I called an applicant who had applied to a previous position I was going to hire for. They moved to the area recently after graduating college. They haven't found work yet and were overly excited about my random out of the blue call considering they applied 6 months ago. I have two positions that will be assisting me that need to be filled. She could be qualified for both. I gave her a brief run down of what both would entail and she was thrilled about the opportunity for either one. From the pure excitement and chance at an opportunity I remembered what that energy was like. It's been a bit dark and gloomy lately. I'm hoping that with moving some stuff around, redoing some offices it could be a fresh start and new. I'll be making a call tomorrow to bring them in and do a rather informal interview and hire them for some contract work to start. If they perform well I might recommend them for the full time salary position to assist me. I'll have to play it by ear. With the new company my recommendation will carry a lot of weight and will reflect heavily upon me. I have crazy strict standards, a work ethic that would kill most people and expectations that many believe are impossible. My theory is impossible is nothing. When people believe it is impossible, and then you do it, you earn their respect, your place and their trust. You just do it. That is what makes you valuable. It's what I've always done, no matter how good I am, I have to work harder, and do better than everyone else. Otherwise, you're just like everyone else. You don't stand out. Soooooooo we'll see how the applicant goes. I'm not impossible and I don't expect them to know everything. As long as they try, do the best they can, and have a willingness to learn I'll teach them. But if you're a slack ass, I have no patience for you and there is the door.

6 comments:

  1. *gulp*

    Does this mean I'm fired? :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly Mando. Of course not, you are a permanent assistant. It's in my contract when I start that you are my assistant. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know you I could never get rid of ya Mando! ;) You can't be replaced!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I demand to be given a chance to prepare your coffee and tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well hell when you say it like that Tuesday...sounds like you too already know part of the job. ha ha ;)

    ReplyDelete