Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Snapshots from a powder whore

One of my close friends responded to my text message pictures while boarding:
"all I hear is I'm a dirty powder whore blah blah blah.. I'm a dirty powder whore"

It's true. I'm powder whore. I don't really haven any photography processed to post so here are some snapshots from my powder whore excursions in the past few weeks. Powdery goodness.

First time up for the season I was riding untracked, untouched, pow. It was a little dangerous this early in the season but untracked turns floating down like you're weightless to have fresh pow splashed up in your face, it was worth it.


This past weekend there was a more stable base with some wet heavy and then covered in new light fluffy pow. The avalanche danger has been crazy high so luckily this area slid a week ago and the base had stabilized. The steep and deep was awesome. I stopped to get a quick snapshot with the top of the snow encased trees with the valley below. It's 2900 acres to ride, it's a beautiful thing.


Just for humor parking was a royal bee-otch. I don't know what is up this year but tons O'cars and no people on the mountain. Must be some quality "look how pretty I am" in the lodge or "I was at the mtn this weekend" while they shopped? Who knows, more pow for me to carve. Anyway one advantage of a jeep being small. Easy to squeeze in a snow drift to make personalized parking. This was the end of the day and time to head home. That and my sweet 163 SDS Flag board. It's a bit big but she's crazy fast and floats in the pow. Oh and disregard that little no parking, you'll be towed sign around the snow berm on that pole. It's for the other side right?


Theres my snapshots from the mtn so far this year. I've thought about riding and capturing some video to post this year on the big pow runs but right now if I dropped my lil canon in the pow, I'd never find it again. Hope it inspires you to get out and enjoy the winter. Snow is fun and go play in it.

12 comments:

  1. That first shot O~LA--very cool...I love everything about winter but just like sand, snow sucks in those tight little spaces it wonders into sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics!! Makes me wanna call in sick and go boarding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I found you. The pics are absolutely beautiful. I would love for it to snow once. Then, BRING ON SUMMER!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *looks around*
    HMPF.
    Gosh darn it, where's that "adult content" I was promised??
    *storms out*

    (okay, my jaw did drop a little at that second picture... holy wow... that's beautiful up there...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots. My JS daughter BeautysSymphony suggested I come by to see your amazing photography~~~I just began taking an interest and I'm hooked. The first photo is my favorite~~thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are really nice, except that i hate snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Beauty...yeah it's always a kick arse special run when I get first tracks on untracked pow. And yes snow like sand finds a way to get in places you always wish it wouldn't!!

    Snow trust me, big pow dump days are always hard to not call in sick on. A few floating turns makes the world all better.

    Redhead...a dirty powder whore is a little like a coke whore as we both love white powder but mine is a lot safer, cheaper and the high is a natural endorphin rush.

    Thanks NC. I'm not usually to hard to find. Just where ever there is snow. I love summer but I don't miss it yet. I have a few months of boarding still.

    Sammi the "adult content warning" was just easier to put in now than when I post something later. Besides I go with the theory if you don't want a 13yr old seeing it, block it. I'm not politically correct and don't want to be responsible for saying things like you're a dirty powder whore ;)

    Ctmedz thanks for coming by. I'll have better pictures, but snapshots from the mountain are never a bad thing.

    Thanks Liz!! I can imagine that the snow would be a little crazy cold for you, but I think you'd still have a kick ass time. Afterwards you can always hit the lodge with hot drinks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome photos,Luc...not sure about your new look though (winks)....

    PS. Thanks for your old stories of the past in different work places-interesting and amusing (big smiles).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love snow, I wish we got more of it here in the Memphis, TN area. It was one of the things that made moving from NJ a little hard. That, family and friends, and the food. Ah well, at least we could afford a house here!

    Awesome pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet pics, Luc. The second one is amazing. I love the depth perception on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos. I know it isn't the same at ALL, but you've inspired me to take a trip to a little slope close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any time Silent. Some times when your boss is a jackass, you just have to put it on the line, tell them to kiss your ass and keep doing your job....and the hell you say ha ha...the crazy wig, the bad porn 'stache and the porn star glasses? It's not becoming?? ha ha ha. ;)

    Bonnie as much as I love snow. The j-o-b that pays for the house and food is more important. Sucks but it is. I'll try to keep up on snow pics for ya.

    Thanks Andi!! It was a crazy steep spot and I was sitting on what was a pile from the avalance slide. I loved looking out at eye level to tree tops and looking practically straight down. Not bad for a fun snapshot eh? :)

    Maurita, as much as it's not the same, it is. Get out and go have fun. As long as you're making some turns and sliding down and having fun, that's what it's all about. 3 feet, 300 feet or 3000 feet. Just getting out and having fun!!

    ReplyDelete